Tuesday 5 December 2017

My Johnny story

"On a tous en nous quelque chose de Johnny"

"We all have a bit of Johnny in us..." wrote Emmanuel Macron this morning after learning of the death of French rock star Johnny Hallyday.

Even me, from a country far, far away.

I encountered Johnny on my first visit to France as a young, impressionable assistante d'anglais. Everything in that year was new, challenging, exciting and terrifying in equal measures. With no money to my name, buying CDs was out of the question, but I was aware of this icon of French music. I had no real idea whether I was supposed to admire him or not, but listen I did.

My favourite song was Laura, written for his daughter in 1986.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnwtIE74ek

In 2009, it was the turn of my husband, and my three children to return to France with me and prior to our departure from Australia, I introduced them to Johnny.

Today, like so many, I react with sadness and say chapeau Johnny.
Adieu.

PS Johnny himself used these words in relation to Jacques Chirac in 1988. A neat way for Macron to politically salute Monsieur Hallyday.


2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Catherine.You are very kind to pay tribute to Johnny Halliday our french legend of Rock'n roll. As you are always a deep lover of all things french I am not surprised that you appreciate this " bête de scène "! Even though he was mocked in most english spoken countries as the " French Elvis ". But not you for sure.You have the same sadness as any french women... PS : ma chanson favorite de Johnny est " Retiens la nuit" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P99T_R0EQw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retiens la nuit - a very early song for sure. To be fair, when I arrived first in France in 1987, I was really not sure of what I thought of him! But, the music and his voice won me over and it has been a fascinating story to witness since. I really do feel as if something special to France has been lost.

      Delete