Tuesday 26 December 2017

A snowy Christmas lunch and The Book Podcast interview





In a previous post, I mentioned an interview that I did with Rosemary Puddy of The Book Podcast. It was still Christmas here in France when the interview was posted and was a lovely way for me to finish the day, which had in fact been a little different from start to finish.

Being reduced in number, my husband and I decided that a snow walk and lunchtime picnic would be fun. On the drive up to our starting point at the Col des Aravis, we could have been forgiven for thinking that it was just any ordinary day. Epiceries, boulangeries, cafés, restaurants, magasins de souvenirs et de vêtements were all open for business. In fact, my daughter pointed out that we struggle to find anything open on a regular Sunday in the year in France, but on Christmas morning, everything seemed open.



The snow had fallen in abundance, unlike last year, when all those who had booked holiday ski chalets were severely disappointed with the lack of skiing and the changed festive ambiance. Additionally, the sun was bright and the sky a stunning blue and Mont Blanc was cleary visible. We were not the only ones out walking and, on reflection, it would have been a good way to shake out the cobwebs for those families that had celebrated in traditional French style on Christmas Eve.



Not completely forgoing Christmas traditions, our dinner menu once we were nicely tired out and back home was nearly exactly what we had seen posted on the boards outside the Col des Aravis restaurants - smoked salmon, chapon and bûche de Noël with a little coupe de champagne.








We were out in the snow again today much closer to home doing our own post-Christmas exercise with a little tobogganing when the cloud rolled over. It was a good reminder to us that the mountain weather needs respect. Even knowledgeable of a certain walk, the fog can disorient and be dangerous. No worries, though, for us today, as our tobogganing slope was roadside.






I hope that your festive season has been what you were hoping for.


If you would like to listen to the interview that I recorded with Rosemary on The Book Podcast, click here to listen.

If then you would like to read more of our family story, 'But you are in France, Madame' please don't hesitate to contact me on cb222@me.com or click on the following link for a Kindle copy  here is the Amazon link for a Kindle copy

And finally, for more French-inspired stories, hop over to this month's link-up at All About France





14 comments:

  1. Such enticing photos of the mountains, snow, and good food - they look almost too good to be true! Glad you are enjoying the holidays there.
    Bonne année!
    Ellen A. (aka Kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true! The mountains are just stunning. Bonne année to you too, Ellen.

      Delete
  2. Your post had put me in the mood for a skiing trip! Glad you had good weather (it makes all the difference). #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do go! I agree, good weather makes all the difference. We tried skiing one day in white-out conditions and were the only crazy ones on the slope. Truthfully, it was a bit scary when we couldn't even see each other, let alone the edge of the slope.

      Delete
  3. Hi Catherine, as you know I've loved your holiday pics on Insta so it's lovely to read more of the story behind them here. Like we've said before to each other, the food at Christmas is really about who you eat it with... right. #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette, we loved doing something different on Christmas Day. I'd even go so far as to say that I preferred it. A bientôt!

      Delete
  4. Your Christmas looked lovely, all that snow and sun, with good food, how can you beat that. Amazing that all the shops were open, I guess I've never actually been in a ski resort on Christmas Day so I didn't expect that. Thanks for linking up with #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in the villages around the ski resorts everything was open. We were quite surprised. The sun and blue sky plus snow was a magical combination. Thanks for hosting #AllAboutFrance

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful sight for Christmas morning! Seasonal snow is a rare treat for us here in London, so I do envy those living in places like yours. #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all become obsessive weather watchers at this time of the year, as we do love the snow. It would be beautiful to see it falling in London too.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a big fan of snow, but I guess even I'd like a snowy Christmas Day walk, before a delicious Christmas meal! #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reward after the exercise - it works with me too! I love the snow. It softens people. Of course, there is the inconvenience and potential danger if you have to drive in it, but overall, it just makes me smile.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a lovely Christmas. I'm based in the south of France and we don't get snow - it's beautiful, but I prefer the sun. :-) Your book sounds very interesting too.
    Margo #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo. Living part of the year in Australia, it's a lucky thing that I like the sun, but when the snow falls...magical!

      Delete