Friday, 19 May 2017

Falling in love all over again

Market day at the War Veterans residence

I fell in love yesterday. With Arthur.* And with Jean, Mabel, Audrey and George.

Arthur was buying clothes at the market stall next to mine. The jumpers, socks and casual shirts for seniors were laid out neatly on two trestle tables and there were a couple of clothes horses displaying long, printed flannelette nighties, loose-fitting jumpers and pants with elasticised waists on coat hangers. It was not obvious that there was a ladies' and a men's side, so when Arthur started looking through the women's pants selection, he was gently guided to the other rack by the lady in attendance.

At that point, I had to turn to my own affairs and did not see Arthur head off, but with both of us customer less, I started chatting to my market stall neighbour. I had observed her earlier, helping her elderly clients and I wanted to tell her how much I loved the way that she was interacting with them. At this point, Arthur returned. He was still an old man, but now he was an old man wearing jeans. They were slightly baggy, slightly long and were possibly not often teamed with a felt hat with finger-length dimple, soft scarf, v-necked jumper and jacket. But, boy did he look swell. The price tag was visible at his waist line, but oblivious to this, he handed his own pair of pants back to be put in a plastic bag and said that he would just keep on going wearing his new pants.

"They are really good quality. They will last you for, (nearly imperceptible pause), a long time."

I don't think Arthur heard. He had already moved on to my stall, where he asked about my book, said slowly and regretfully that perhaps he wouldn't buy it straight away, took one of my brochures, no doubt to not let me down, and, bypassing the hand-bag stall, moved on to the lady selling jars of jam. My heart followed him.

Jean bought one of my books, but not before she had told me several times that she had honeymooned in France, where she and her husband had hitch-hiked to get around, and checked several times that the book was mine; that I had actually written it. She eventually decided that even though her birthday was a long time off, she would treat herself. I don't know whether she will remember from one day to the next what the book is about, but sincerely hoped that each little chapter would take her back to that happy place and time when, just married, she was in France.

George and his wife also stopped for a long chat. He looked not a day older than 60, but confided in me that he had already celebrated his 80th birthday and that Audrey and he had been together for 45 years even though many had predicted that their 13-year age gap would be their undoing. There has been much ado recently about age gaps in relationships. I wouldn't have known, guessed or even given it any thought.

* - not real names


8 comments:

  1. How kind your heart is, to take in so much that others cannot even see. I'm sure you are glad that you were there. Very nice display, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! Thank-you, for your heart-warming comment.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene. The most wonderful thing since publishing, as you know, is that I get to share stories with lots of lovely people.

      Delete
  3. This charming story is touching on many levels. It is wonderful that these senior citizens have a local market with which they can identify. Old age can be incredibly isolating as well as challenging financially, physically and emotionally.
    I can't wait to read your book. We are currently renovating a petit medieval house in France to the north of yours. It has been fraught with difficulties, but we are persisting. For a few weeks each year we roll up our sleeves and chip away at its problems in hope that it may eventually be classified habitable - although I don't want to pay the associated taxes. Amicalement, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Elizabeth. This was my first time at the market and it was a special morning, but a bit challenging too for the reasons that you mention. I'd love to hear more about your renovations. Perhaps, I'll find the details on your blog? À bientôt, Catherine

      Delete
  4. That is so lovely. I'm glad you enjoyed a spot of people watching and I hope you sold some books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Jaqcui. I was really drawn to the residents, and, yes, they were very kind and bought some books. I did a talk and showed some of our beautiful French slides there earlier in the year. They invited me back to the market. Of course, I said that I would love to.

      Delete